Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Submission...  a word that has never set well with me.  I am a little bit of a control freak, or at least that is what my husband tells me.  I'll admit it;  I have issues.

For some time now the Holy Spirit has been tugging at my heart.  I have heard words of 'servantude'.  Every time I hear the gospel of Mark 10:45, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many", I feel a certain amount of guilt.  I am a wife and a mother.  My entire life is about service to others.  As the mother of 5, four of whom are still in the home, I wake up to serve others and plan my entire day around their needs.  As a wife...well, as a wife, I fail miserably.  I see my husband as an adult whom I feel should be able to take care of himself and most of the time, he has to.  And that creates more guilt.  I am not content in my life of 'servantude'.  To tell you otherwise, would be a lie.  And the guilt continues to pile on.  If the Son of Man came to serve, and as a Christian, it is my call to 'be like Christ', then how can I not be content, elated even, in my life of servantude?  Searching the Bible for answers, I came across this: A person with a true servant's heart does not just obey God's law because he or she has been ordered to, but because they earnestly desire to please God and do His will. 

It is January 1st.  A new day.  A new year.  A new beginning.  I created this blog name, The Intentional Servant, quite some time ago, (as I said, the Holy Spirit has been tugging at my heart for awhile) but I have ignored it.  I have not written any words, because words are powerful and when put to paper, they become binding.  Once I say them out loud, once I commit them to paper, they become truth.  

A person with a true servant's heart does not just obey God's law
 because he or she has been ordered to, 
but because they earnestly desire to please God and do His will.

I desire to please God, to earnestly please God.  It is my prayer for the new year that I become the servant child that God desires me to be and to serve intentionally, with grace and thanksgiving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment