Friday, January 24, 2014

January 24, 2014

It's 1:00 in the afternoon.  I've been in the kitchen all morning since dropping the kids off at school.  I've been steady on my feet all day cooking.  I have a loaf of bread in the oven and another one that I am prepping for a meal on Sunday.  I have made a lasagna and put it in the refrigerator, also for Sunday's meal.  I've listened to my bible app and am already into next week so I decided to look for something else to listen to.  I decided on Ecclesiastes.  After listening to that for about an hour, I thought to turn on some music.  Someone in the household had downloaded a new app called 8tracks that showed up on my phone.  I'm not sure how it's different from Pandora, but I decided to give it a try.  There are some 'tracks' already put together that you can choose from...that seemed way to mind consuming for me.  It's like going into a paint store to buy a can of white paint and having 100's of choices that all somehow encompass the color white.  So, I did a search for something that I was in the mood for...Edwin McCain came to mind for some reason and sure enough, there was a 'track' that included Edwin McCain.  I chose it and set my phone aside.  Since my hands were busy, I had to listen to the music as it came along.    There was some Maroon 5, some Coldplay, I heard Cheryl Crow, it was all good.  Then, somewhere in the midst of my cooking and music playing in the background, I noticed that my music, the music I was listening to, had turned to country.  COUNTRY?  You have to understand that my entire life, COUNTRY has never been on my playlist.  I like to politely say that "I have never learned to appreciate it".  That puts the burden on me and doesn't quite seem as insulting to people who hold country dear to their heart.  But here I was listening to country and actually enjoying it.  This is foreign to me.  Admitting to the fact that I was enjoying country music is almost scary.  Many things that I have done since my commitment to serve intentionally have been foreign to me.  But as I was reminded this morning in Ecclesiastes 3, "For everything there is a season..." and this seems to be my season for change.

And with that, I will leave you with this...  Darius Rucker, It Won't be Like This Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment